Groton Utilities Water Division reminds its water customers that using water wisely is always in season. This summer has been especially hot, and it is easy to lapse into wastefully water use practices and habits. While our water supply is more than adequate for this time of year, we do recommend that you exercise common sense when using water.
There are many ways to use water wisely. We would like to offer you some examples of wise water usage:
- Turning off the tap while you brush your teeth can save 8 gallons per day.
- Wash only full loads of dishes and clothes or lower the water settings for smaller loads.
- Water your lawn or garden during the cool morning hours, as opposed to midday, to reduce evaporation.
- Try not to overwater your landscaping. Learn plants’ water needs and water different types appropriately.
- A full bathtub can require up to 70 gallons of water, while taking a 5-minute shower uses only 10 to 25 gallons.
You can view long term water conservation tips at Water Conservation Tips.