DPH recommends the following water conservation measures for both public water users and private well owners:
- Turn off the sprinkler system for the season. If you must water your lawn, only do it once weekly.
- Postpone the planting of any new lawns or vegetation. If you must plant, choose drought resistant varieties.
- Refrain from unnecessary or wasteful uses of water, such as the rinsing of sidewalks, driveways, and patios (sweep or use a blower to clear debris).
- Run dishwashers and washing machines with full loads.
- Do not leave the faucet running unnecessarily when washing dishes, shaving, brushing teeth, and washing hands.
- Take shorter showers. Consider reducing your shower time by one minute each day until you are taking a five-minute shower.
- Avoid power washing buildings and washing vehicles.
- Fix leakages that you may find around the home or business.
Additionally, Groton Utilities recommends the following tips:
- Choose energy efficient appliances (washing machines, dishwashers) when replacing old ones.
- Older toilets use a large amount of water per flush. Consider investing in a low-flow toilet or a displacement device for the toilet tank.
- Consider adding a rain barrel to your garden for future water conservation efforts.